When 3D laser scanning was initially introduced to the AEC marketplace, traditional survey and point cloud registration methods were accepted as adequate for the time. With today’s laser scanning projects increasing in complexity and detail, it’s more critical than ever that all measurements produced are correct and trusted. Today’s needs require an answer beyond current traditional methods, we need accurate 3D laser scanning.
What’s so smart about SMART Scanning?
Now, the same degree of measurement confidence widely adopted and proven in critical industries such as Aerospace, Shipbuilding, Automotive and related tooling is available for the AEC industry. Whether you need measurement data for:
- 2D drawings
- 3D CAD
- Plant layout
- Building Information Modeling (BIM)
- Interference studies
. . . or any other construction, renovation, rehabilitation, restoration or preservation need, you can have your data trusted and verified.
“Currently, [measurement] practitioners self-report their level of accuracy. While this is the accepted standard, it is inherently problematic.” – An Open Letter to NIST, July 2011.
The Next Step
The problem with traditional 3D laser scanning methods*:
- 60% of registered data has some sort of error.
- 75% of the original time spent to register is spent in re-registering if there is error.
- 95% of the time resistance is met beyond the first attempts to re-scan and fix the data.*Source: Sternidae Group Research
“Workarounds” become the solution. These workarounds:
- Contain undocumented errors
- Don’t reflect true conditions
- Create a lack of confidence and trust
- Increase risk and legal liability for all stakeholders
Trusted, Verified Scan Data Every Time
Our top teams of experts have combined 100 years in large-scale metrology measurement experience. We know best practices and have experienced some of the most complex measurement demands.
Our approach to accurate laser scanning uses NIST-traceable tools that are at the heart of our unique, patent-pending measurement method. The use of advanced laser trackers, along with 3D laser scanners, creates unheard of accuracies and measurement that can be trusted and verified independent of our team’s expertise. We use interferometers (IFM)—a NIST-authenticated first-level artifact—in our trackers. Nothing is more precise or more trusted than an interferometer. No other scanning method uses an IFM-based laser tracker in its process. All of our tools are integrated in a patent pending process that virtually eliminates targeting and operator-induced errors.
Unlike traditional approaches, this cutting edge process delivers known uncertainty to the modeler, architect, engineer and owner. Does your current laser scanning service provide this NIST-traceable data?
- No more guesswork
- Scan data that can be trusted
- Mitigates risk
- Traditional scanning methods can’t match this level of confidence. Architects, Engineers, Modelers, Designers and Owners are provided with data they can trust from the beginning.
Our Innovative Approach
- Breaking with tradition doesn’t break the bank, or your budget.
- 1 person can do the job of 4 in the field at NO additional cost
- Process documents measurement uncertainty
- Real-time dynamic system eliminates registration errors
- Positively impacts schedule and all subsequent processes
- Reduces overall project costs due to undocumented error and related change orders
Our patent pending process isn’t a laboratory or controlled environment-only solution. We have had numerous service projects that address problems encountered in the every day work environment.
- Precision Scanning of aircraft to model airflow characteristics
- Aircraft carrier catapult alignment
- Machine Tool Alignment
- Industrial Plant Mapping and control network establishment